Child Support

If you are divorcing and have children, or have never married your child’s other parent and are dissolving your household, child support is on your mind. At Colbert Family Law, LLC, we represent both mothers and fathers in child support matters, helping to make sure their children are taken care of and that their own resources are not depleted in the process.

How is Child Support Calculated?

Child support is calculated based on the formulas set forth in Alaska Civil Rule 90.3. Because child support is a duty owed by parents to their children, and not to each other, courts tend not to allow parents to agree on an amount of child support that is inconsistent with the formula.

Although child support is calculated by a formula, that doesn’t mean that the calculation is necessarily a simple one. The formulas are complex, and the child support award that comes out of the formula is only as good as the data that goes into it. Also, changes may have occurred in your life since your child support was first calculated. The law often allows you to ask the court to modify the amount you owe, or are owed.

It’s important to work with an experienced attorney who knows what should be included in the calculations. That way, you can be confident that all relevant income of both parties is being considered, and that all rightful deductions from income are being taken into account. We have dealt with all manner of child support situations, including parents who have seasonal work or other irregular income.

What if I’m Behind in Child Support Payments?

There are many reasons people fall behind in their child support payments. When a letter arrives from the Child Support Services Division (CSSD), their impulse is often to set it aside without opening it until they can do something about it. That approach will only make the situation worse, and could lead to garnishments, loss of licenses, and more.

Instead, contact Colbert Family Law, LLC immediately. Our firm has done a great deal of work with and inside the CSSD. We understand that it can be difficult to find the person within the agency who can help you, and to whom you can explain your situation. We can help you cut through the red tape and resolve your child support concerns before they multiply.

Working to Support Alaska's Children and Parents

We know it’s important to you to be sure your children receive the support to which they’re entitled. Like you, our firm takes the responsibility for a child's well-being seriously, and we strive to see not only that our clients’ children get what they need, but that the arrangement is fair to their parents as well.

Colbert Family Law, LLC serves clients throughout Alaska, from Anchorage and the Mat-Su Valley to remote villages. We invite you to contact Colbert Family Law, LLC online or at (907) 279-5001 to schedule a consultation to discuss how we can help you address child support in a way that works best for your family.