At Colbert Family Law, LLC, few experiences are as rewarding to us as helping families to welcome a new member through adoption. Whether the adoption is simply formalizing an existing relationship or creating a new one, we can guide and support you throughout the process.
Our firm has experience handling all types and aspects of adoptions and related issues, including:
- Services to Birth Mothers: Making the decision to surrender a child for adoption can be difficult, but it can open up worlds to both the child and the adoptive family. We help birth mothers consider their needs and rights in this process so that they can confidently make this life-changing decision.
- Indian Child Welfare Act: The ICWA was enacted to protect the rights of Native American children and their families, and adds a layer of complexity to the already complex adoption process. We are familiar with the ICWA and can help make certain its requirements are complied with in adoptions in which it applies.
- Step-Parent Adoptions: With blended families becoming increasingly common, we have assisted many families in establishing permanent relationships between stepparents and stepchildren though adoption.
- Second Parent Adoptions: This is the adoption of a child by a second parent in the home who is not married to the legal parent of the child. This process allows a second parent (including a same-sex parent) to adopt a child without the first parent losing any parental rights.
- State Custody Adoptions: Our firm offers support to parents adopting a child who has been in foster care.
- Interstate Placement: Adoptions across state lines require compliance with the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC). We are able to help ensure that all requirements are met for your adoption to proceed smoothly.
No matter what path you have chosen to build your family, we are available to advise you and guide you through the often complex proceedings.
Colbert Family Law, LLC serves clients throughout Alaska, from Anchorage and the Mat-Su Valley to remote villages. If you are considering adoption, contact Colbert Family Law, LLC online or at (907) 279-5001 to schedule a consultation to learn more about the process.